This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.
 

Noticeboard

Please read the IMPORTANT information regarding the Summary Care Record, which goes live in September 2014

Please REGISTER AT THE PRACTICE for on-line access to pre-book GP appointments and order REPEAT medications

 

Patient Group Minutes Mar 2012

THE HOLLIES SURGERY

PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP

Monday 26th March 2012

 

Minutes

 

In Attendance

 

Stuart Heilbron (Chair)

Derek Sudlow

Ann Ward

Claire Ward

   Chrissy Ryder

Colette Riley (mins).

 

Apologies

 

 

 

No

Item

Action

 

Minutes of Previous Meeting

 

Minutes of previous meeting were discussed and change of format for meeting minutes agreed

 

Before the start of the meeting, Colette informed the Group that Barbara had decided to withdraw.  Due to personal circumstances and other commitments she felt unable to remain involved with the Group at this time.

CR

 

THSPPG01/26

 

Funding Précis Sheet

 

CR briefly outlined the methods of funding General Practices through the NHS, and the outlay for which each practice is responsible.

 

A short précis was distributed and a brief discussion around the Contract system for GP’s highlighted the difference between an NHS GP Practice and a Private GP Practice, together with the relative funding differences.

 

 

CR

 

THSPPG02/26

 

Update on Patient Questionnaire

 

Waiting Room TV

 

CR updated the group on the results from our patient questionnaire.

 

The majority were in support of the use of a TV to show specific items around our locality and Chrissy has spoken to other mums who attend various groups for further information.  98 patients responded to the question in favour and Chrissy will check if there is also facility for support for the more elderly spectrum available via the same providers (Childrens Centre etc)

 

Partners have agreed to fund the new TV, as it has not been possible to identify who ‘owns’ the current, non functioning, TV.

 

Chrissy and Derek discussed the options, as The Childrens Centre has their TV more as a monitor, attached to a computer.  Derek will pilot options using a flashdrive to run a powerpoint presentation on a similar TV and report back.

 

Telephone System

 

The group discussed the feedback from patients around our telephone system.  91 patients supported the change in the Telephone System; this was despite worries around increased costs if patients are waiting in a queue to be answered.  Stuart felt that, as a smaller Practice, the facility to ‘opt’ for different extensions was unhelpful and this had been reflected in the patient comments. The Practice had chosen the ‘middle ground’ and the new system, whilst having a ‘queue’ facility, will not give a message of ‘waiting in a queue’, for which the patient would be charged, but the phone would either ring until answered by a staff member or give an ‘engaged’ tone if there was no-one available to answer the call, therefore the cost to the patient for the call would be no different that under the previous system, however there would be more capacity for the phone to be answered by staff, giving less occurrences of ‘engaged’ tone. 

 

Colette discussed that this was a main concern in our previous GPAQ questionnaires; the group felt that perhaps the cohort chosen in previous years had not been representative enough as, with a queuing system and specific keys to be pressed for specific extensions etc, the conclusion was that we would have over complicated what should be a simple task achievable for any age of patient; which is to be able to contact their GP when needed. 

 

Laboratory / XRay Results

 

Coletteexplained to the group that the current system used to handle patient laboratory and x-ray test results was neither logical nor readily accessible to the majority of patients.

 

Due to confidentiality issues, the Practice is unable to leave answer phone messages unless we have specific permission recorded; which is rare.

 

The proposal made on our Patient Questionnaire was for us to move

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Derek / Chrissy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

to the patient making contact with us for their results; with PN and GP’s reminding patients to contact the Surgery for their results, between certain times, or to make arrangements for a member of the family to be available, with the necessary permission in place.

 

The majority of Questionnaire replies were in favour of this change; however 44 patients did not wish the system to change. 

 

The Partners feel that this change is in the best interest of the patient, and that the patient must take an element of responsibility to check their results, and following Easter the Practice will make plans to instigate a system to remind the patients to contact us for results.

 

This reminder will take place at the point of referral for investigations and will be reinforced at the time of investigation when possible, with reminders highlighting this in the Waiting Room.

 

The Practice will run a pilot of the proposed system commencing 1/6/2012 and running for 8 weeks; this will allow patients to be informed of the change in advance.

 

Colette will feed back results of the Pilot after the Summer.

 

The Practice will always contact patients when urgent results need attention.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CR

 

 

 

 

THSPPG03/26

 

 

 

Patient Arrival Update

 

Following a slow start the feedback on the Automated Arrival is positive. A number of patients have used this system in other practices and in hospitals, and feel that it reduces waiting time at the Reception

 

 

 

 

 

 

THSPPG05/26

 

Practice Website

 

Details of website given again – for feedback please if possible

 

 

All

 

THSPPG06/26

 

Building

 

Derekwill create a Schedule of Works for the Practice.  This document then needs to be agreed with the Landlord, with the intent that 3 prices will be sought prior to any work starting which has joint responsibility between the Practice and the Landlord.

 

Space within the Practice is limited, but due to external boundaries and other legalities it is not feasible or financially possible to extend / purchase more space on this site, therefore we need to make the most out of the premises we have.

 

As part of the ScheduleDerek will build in a Maintenance Log.

 

 

 

 

 

Derek

 

THSPPG07/26

Car Parking

 

Ann asked about the possibility of marking a designated bay for Disabled Parking only.

 

Currently the Practice has a limit of 8 spaces, with 4 on each side, however this reduces depending on the size of the vehicles parked and how close the vehicles are parked together.

 

Following discussion it was felt that, on balance, a Disabled bay would not guarantee available parking, as it would likely be used when there were no other spaces available; the Practice does not have the resources to physically man / police the parking.

 

A wheel clamp was suggested – not for actual use but as a deterrent to rogue car parkers – options of which we will investigate!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CR

 

 

 

Next Meeting :  23rd April 2012   7.30pm – 8.30pm

 

 



 
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website